With the approach of Christmas, the authorities call for caution in the face of certain small products. Swallowed by children, they « can cause very serious complications, sometimes fatal », indicate the DGCCRF and ANSES in a press release published on Thursday.
The National Health Security Agency and the General Directorate for Competition, Consumption and Fraud Control cite several objects often involved in these accidents. Among them, button batteries, small round batteries found in some toys, which can « cause damage in a few hours due to the release of toxic substances in the esophagus ».
As we approach #holidays At the end of the year, the health authorities alert parents and caregivers of young children to the risks of swallowing small objects. Find out more 👇https: //t.co/C6qeYddYGI pic.twitter.com/dQOdcXgVYe
— DGCCRF (@dgccrf) December 23, 2021
Carefully read the warnings on the packaging
Water pearls, used in decoration or in plants as well as in toys, can swell in the digestive tract when swallowed « and cause intestinal obstruction, sometimes fatal ». Finally, ANSES and the DGCCRF point out the risks associated with magnetic beads, which can cause intestinal perforations.
The two organizations therefore invite parents not to leave these products within the reach of children and to supervise them to avoid any accident. They also recommend paying attention to purchased toys, carefully reading the warnings on the packaging. If the product does not comply with the regulations, it is possible to report it on the SignalConso site of the DGCCRF.
In case of ingestion, even suspected, a poison control center must be called immediately, which will give medical advice and the action to be taken. In the event of a vital emergency, call 15 or 112.