World number 14 Denis Shapovalov announced on Sunday that he tested positive for Covid-19 after arriving in Sydney, further highlighting the virus threat hanging over the Australian Open, which is due to start on January 17. next to Melbourne.
“Hi everyone, I just wanted to let you know that when I arrived in Sydney I tested positive for Covid,” Shapovalov tweeted on Sunday. « I follow all the protocols, including the isolation and the information of the people with whom I have been in contact, » he reassured. Right now I am experiencing minor symptoms and can’t wait to get back on court when it’s safe. «
The boss of the Australian Open wants to be reassuring
The 22-year-old was one of the first to arrive in Australia for his ATP Cup appearance where he was supposed to play for Canada, three weeks before the first Grand Slam of the year. Shapovalov faced Nadal at the Abu Dhabi exhibition tournament, where the Spanish superstar also tested positive, threatening his plans for the Australian Open.
Tournament manager Craig Tiley said last week he was convinced the former world number one could compete in the Melbourne event, which is set to start on January 17. « Players who test positive now are going to (self-isolate) until they’re no longer contagious and they’re fine, » Tiley told reporters.